Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Taiwan Higher Education Fair (Jit Sin Independent)

God, why did i pout my lips in that unflattering fashion??

This is Huih Ling.
God, i look fat!

I was pretty psyched when I was asked by Mr. Lai of the Office of International Affairs to be some sort of an ambassador representing TCU for the Taiwan Higher Education Fair in Jit Sin Independent High School, Bukit Mertajam. 2 reasons, I can blabber about how “great” the department I enrolled in (English Language & Literature), and I’d have a reason to wake up later than the usual 6.30! (Albeit it’s only for 2 days).

Anyway, the day before the fair, after picking up a grudging Huih Ling from the Shell Petrol Station at the Juru toll (because “the person” who promised to pick her up got stuck somewhere in some place), we proceed to rush to the venue because we were asked to show up at 4.30, but, no one was there except for a sleepy looking “師姑”. So, in the end, me and Huih Ling went to a nearby coffee shop for some “ABC” (shaved ice with *yuck!* red beans). We chat about what we will have to say to the visitors and came to a conclusion that we have not the slightest bit of idea after an hour or so talking about food.

On to the next day; the day of the actual education fair.

I was pleasantly surprised that there are a lot of students and parents who are genuinely interested in our school. I was a little discouraged (ok, it felt like someone poured a few bucket of ice on me) that a lot of people gave me “The Look”, a term which I use it to describe their “What? You study English in Taiwan?!” expression, and then I’d have to go on and on to explain that I did plenty of research, and that then lectures are conduct in English, and yes there are “ang mo” (foreigners) lecturers in my department. I was deeply hurt when a woman with a smug face and a son who she kept proclaiming studying medicine in Russia in tow literally scream with this high pitch yelp when I told her I’m doing English Lecturer in Taiwan.

Dang.

Some were pretty nice and friendly though. Like this petite Indian girl who is interested in doing mass communication; we had a nice long chat, and she didn’t made a qualm about me studying English Literature in Taiwan.

All in all, the entire fair was pretty…dull. Although a lot of people are genuinely interested in TCU, most only inquired about the medical department and mass communication. I thought I’d have the chance to promote my department, but seeing their reaction…well, maybe not here.

My second day was pretty much the same as the first day. People come and go, asking about the medical department, fees, and scholarships. I nearly snapped because when they heard the T&C of our school’s oversea student’s scholarship, they just scurried away. I mean, you’re here to study, not make money. And what pissed me off was that most 90% of the time, people only inquires about the medical department, and what’s more, it’s frustrating that whenever people ask about which department(s) is/are TCU famous for, I’d have to repeat the same answer over and over, which is “Medicine and Mass Communication, and they’re among the best in Taiwan, blah, blah, blah…”, as if we only have these 2 courses in our University. Still, my spirit was lifted this tiny bits when my best friend, 薇冰showed up to ask about stuff regarding visa application and my department. My department!! (Okay, okay, she was already waiting for her freshmen year enrollment this September.)

All in all, it’s still fun though, seeing all the 師姑whipping up yummy desserts and helping out with handing out the brochures and packing the souvenirs, having the opportunity to interact with (*ahem, mostly cold, stony face) people, share gossips with Huih Ling (we formed a deep bond!), and became great friends with on the way. And I get paid!!! How great is that?

Although there's one thing, i may have made some really sarcastic remarks regarding TCU, such as how boring Hualien is, some lecturers are jerks, some students are assholes etc.......hehehe...my bad.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

lolx... i look bad in da pic... ><
hahaha.. u can be a great senior de^^