Monday, September 29, 2008

Am i really ashamed of being a Malaysian?


Some readers asked me about one of my post of which i lamented about how ashamed i am of being a Malaysian, that, am i really pissed off by my home country so much i have to let the entire world know?

Honestly, i love my country. Ask any Malaysian students working or studying overseas, most will give you a sort of "yeah well, i love it, but yet i hated it sometimes, and why do you think i left my country..." and so on.

There won't be another country in the world where you can find even the Ah Lian, Ali and Muthu anywhere on the roadside who possesses more than 3 languages! I am grateful for my home country for providing me the priceless opportunities to learn so many languages.

(i ain't bluffing ya'll, but i speak up to 8 languages! Chinese, Malay, English, Cantonese, Hokkien, Teochew, Indonesian, Hakka, and all those what we called it as "chapelang" [mixed] languages with English, Chinese and Malay all over it, just like Phua Chu Kang)

Secondly, seriously, pick any oversea Malaysian, ask them what they missed most about their hometown, they'll blabber out a string of the names of food. Two weeks here in Taiwan, and i am sick of the food here. All the food here fell under my criticizes; too salty, too oily, no flavors etc etc. I mean come on, curry is suppose to be really aromatic, spicy and tangy, instead of sweet, bland and not the slightest spiciness in it. Jezz, some curry are even worst than the mushroom soup they serve in Pizza Hut. One restaurant which serves curry in Hualien called Curry Queen serves, what i think is the closest to the Malaysian style, couldn't even lower the price. Sheesh, i mean, with NT140/RM14, i can buy half a chicken, 500gm of potatoes, curry paste and throw in some spices, voila! One pot of chicken curry whcih serves at least 5 people.

Ok, enough about the food. The point is, i don't hate my country. I'm just dissapointed by the attitude of the government, the political manipulation and the rights supressing of the "non-elite" races.

I love my country, and i'm gonna stress that fact once and for all, i don't hate my country, and i never will. Everywhere i go, i tell people how wonderful my country is, how great the environment is, how scrumtious the food are and how friendly the people are. I just wish, that those loud mouth politician would get their asses up, stop attacking others and start making a real change to our country.

51 years of independence (merdeka), it's time to grow up!

No comments: