Monday, April 07, 2008

盛夏光年 Eternal Summer


I haven’t felt this depress for ages. After finished watching the movie Eternal Summer (盛夏光年) last night, I literally cried for more than 2 hours.

What is the definition of the word”friend”? I’ve been hiding my feelings toward HIM ever since I first laid eyes on him. For so long, I listened to him talking, we always have dinner together, and we always share gossips and personal stuff on the verandah, enjoying the chilly wind.

Shou Heng: We’re friends, what can’t u tell me?

Zeng Xing: Would you still be my friend after hearing this?

I never really thought of you as merely a “friend”

I like you.

The scene where they trade this lines made me burst into tears.

The movie opened with a quote saying that a satellite planet will always surround a planet…maybe my life is how this goes, I’m always someone else’s satellite.




Sometimes, I guess everyone has an eternal summer of their own. I never really had any “real” friends whom I can share anything and everything openly. All my life, I keep everything inside me. Sometimes, I just wish there is/was a person in my life whom I can lend a shoulder to cry on. Just when I thought I found the ONE, fate disagrees with me, splitting us on summer of 2005.

Sometimes, I just wished that I should have just been all alone my life, instead of liking the person but at the same time knowing that being together is utterly impossible.

The movie depicts two young boys in Hualien County, one being an overactive kid while the other being a goody two shoes. The story started off as the 2 boys befriending each other as relatively impossible. The goody two shoes, Zeng Xing was a little reluctant to being Shou Heng’s friend. But along the way, their friendship grew. When they were in high school, there came a girl who gets into the relationship of the 2 boys. Zeng Xing loved him but he himself retreat to being the satellite planet of Shou Heng and the girl Hui Jia. While studying in a university in Taipei, things got even worst between the three of them. There came the 921 earthquake. Zeng Xing couldn’t help it but embrace Shou Heng tightly, his first instinct, to protect him. The story ended with Zeng Xing leaved after having sex with Shou Heng, but later on Shou Heng drag him and Hui Jia to the famous Hualien Seven Stars Beach (七星潭), where Zeng Xing confess his feelings to Shou Heng.

Alternatively, the novel which the movie was based on depicts Zeng Xing left after the having sex with Shou Heng. Shou Heng, although secured their friendship with the intimacy, and realized his true feelings towards Zeng Xing, but out of fear and, he broke up with Hui Jia and went on his life until 5 years later, after Zeng Xing died (although the reason remained unexplained), on his memorial, Shou Heng finally confessed that

我想,原來這就是「懷念」的感覺,懷念一個曾經愛過的人。
當我開始學會懷念了,才終於有勇氣,跟他說一聲。
再見。

“I guess, this is how missing someone felt, missing someone who I once love. It Is until I learned how to missed, finally I have the courage to tell him, goodbye”

Personally, I’d much prefer the alternative ending, and that the movie could be way better. But still, not a movie since Titanic, Brokeback Mountain, Peaceful Warrior and the latest, The Bucket List come close to milking tears out of me for over 2 hours.





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG! i'm just researching for things about the film Eternal Summer, things i didn't know before and things that i might stumble to know about the movie. And then I came across your blog, read your comment about the film, and ahhh, i never thought there's others like me who felt that same feeling about the film,,. i, too, felt that inner emotional depth after finishing that film, wishing that i too, someday or maybe never, will have a shane in my life,. but that first day didn't cause my tears to break out. then the next day, i repeated watching it and, oh boy, it caught me,, it nailed me so hard, i kept thinking and thinking over and over again about it,, i cried my heart out, and i have to hide because someone will caught me and will think that i'm a pussy.. anyways, i too had that same damn feeling,, up until now,, i don't know when can this subside,,.. i really like to tell this,, i don't know, maybe a way to let go of the feeling (damn, this really is killing me...) just want to let you know guys, the movie's one hell of a movie, definitely recommended, (yeah, i know, i was kinda to up to date) but... Eternal Summer is one of the most stunning, most gorgeous, superb LGBT movie i have ever seen,.. One critic said, and I quote, "Eternal Summer is an absolute must-see. It stirs up an angst you might not have felt since your high school days, but also a great warmth. Emerging from this kind of emotional depth takes a while, a few hours, perhaps a day; and that is the sign of a truly great movie."

Anonymous said...

I googled "eternal summer" and came to your blog. You are interesting, I guess that is what I am trying to say.

We are not friends and we may not bump into each other in this century, but I guess I'd like to tell you to "jia you", that I hope you will find someone to listen and lend you his shoulder :).

When I go to the temple this monday, I'll make sure to include you in the prayer.