Thursday, March 12, 2009

What I Like About You


Finally, i finished every single episode of What I Like About You after more than a year worth of downloading and waiting,

You know the feeling of how if you became a big fan of a certain tv show, and it grows on you so much that it'll make you cry if it ends? Well, never since Charmed that a show left me in such a state where tears stream down on the very last episode.

What I Like About You tells the story of Valerie "Val" Tyler and her younger sister, Holly Tyler. Val Tyler (Jennie Garth) is an uptight taskmaster who is very organized and somewhat neurotic. Holly (Amanda Bynes) is a rambunctious and narcissistic teenager who doesn't want to move to Japan where her father has a new job, arranging instead to move into her older sister Val's apartment in New York City. The show featured two strong sisters who love each other. They have equally loyal friends (Val's Lauren and Holly's Gary, or in later episodes Tina, for example).

I still remember a few lines that stuck on me. In the second last episode, Now and Zen, Lauren told Val that the reason she's so uptight and afraid of embracing happiness is that she always look for a flaw whenever there's happiness looming by.

That conversation got me thinking, really, i'm constantly uptight. I might never asked for any flaws or whatever to smack on my face, but i just couldn't help look for a way to be miserable about it. Sometimes, when things doesn't go my way, did i ever thought off digging the whole thing deeper to see if the Universe is trying to tell me something?

Like...like, ok. For example. Say you planned your dream wedding on a boat house, but, the bookings are full. It sucks, but suddenly, someone cancelled! Yay! right? But there's a catch to it. The person who cancelled had a Star Wars theme wedding all planned out and it's too late to change the whole thing unless you pay big bucks, so you either have to suck it up or leave it. So, do you suck it up, or you just simply bawl your heads out because you envisioned a "Starry" wedding instead of a "Satr Wars" wedding?

If you were to look deeper, maybe it's the Universe trying to tell you that, "Dude, suck it up, why do you have to go for the dark side everytime when you can just embrace the light?" Sure, cutting your wedding cake with a lightsaber and bridesmaid dressing as androids, and hell, you'll have to dress as the God-awful Princess Leia garb (ugh, that horrible bun hair style is a crime in every single galaxy), but look at the bright side, it's memorable. Right?

So, the past few days weren't that smooth for me, all with the sulking and misfortunes now and then, but i'm still alive, ain;t i? (Ok, it's not like i'm gonna die or anything, i'm just saying.) I still have friends who sing for me every night, (High five, Viecie, remember dude, Single Rawks!!!!) friends who listen to me blabbering on and on how miserable i am and drag me out for supper whenever i feel like shit.

Maybe i ain't as lucky as some people does, but i still have the moments.

Anyway, i'm glad i finished the show. Holly, Val, Gary. Tina, Vince, Lauren; you guys grew on me so much that i kinda felt like a part of your weird circle, no, maybe more than that, like family. I will definitely missed the show.

No comments: